Nepal is a wonderland for travelers, but only when visited at the right time. Despite being a small country, Nepal has a wide range of elevations and climates varying from the world’s highest peak to lowlands in Terai. Since, it’s a matter of making or breaking your beautiful journey, CoreTreks has made sure to answer all your questions regarding the best time to visit Nepal in this article.
Nepal is it in its glory during the spring and autumn/fall season. Since, the weather is moderate with clear blue skies during these seasons, book your trip to Nepal accordingly. Our travel experts suggest it is possible to have a memorable trip in Nepal all through the year. Here we have boiled down the best season to visit Nepal to help you get some idea when to travel to Nepal.
To be fair, all seasons have their significance and bring out their own nostalgia, but if we really had to pick the best time to visit Nepal or best seasons to visit Nepal then between October and December during autumn/fall would be our pick as the views are spectacular and the weather remains dry until about April.
January and February can get very cold comparatively but it also means quieter trekking trails with less traffic and mesmerizing panoramas. Vegetation during spring season is at its best. The lust green forests and blooming rhododendrons fills your heart with joy. The heat and humidity levels start building up from May and continues until the monsoon rain which arrives in June. The mountains are obscure and the surrounding gets gloomy.
When deciding the best time to visit Nepal, keep in mind what you desire from the trip to Nepal. Whatever the reason might be, always prioritize the mountain visibility, clear skies, moderate temperature, and avoid rainy seasons.Nim Prasad Bhatta, Travel Expert / CEO of CoreTreks
Seasons in Nepal
Nepal has a wide range of elevations and climates, making it difficult to predict exact weather conditions during certain time of the year. The regional differences can make temperature and weather vary tremendously between regions. So, considering that, the followings are seasons in Nepal and what you can expect during these times.
Winter in Nepal
Bringing in cold and dryness, winter in Nepal sees occasional snowfall in the mountains. Winter is one of the best seasons for sightseeing with the vivid Himalayas above 8,000m. The skies are clear, giving you the most of the Nepal without any obstruction.
Tips for visiting Nepal in winter:
- Activities that include physical movements such as cycling and hiking are best for winter season.
- Explore low altitude destinations such as Chitwan National Park and Bardia National Park to experience moderate temperature even in winter.
- Layer up with multiple jackets if you have decided to go for trekking to the mountains.
- Try some of the Nepali cuisines and tea.
Spring in Nepal
Spring in Nepal is considered to be stable for the trekkers in Nepal. The Himalayas are warmer offering a pristine scenery making it a great time to trips such as Manaslu Circuit Trek, Three Passes Trek, Annapurna Circuit Trek and many more. The capital, Kathmandu gets warmer as well. Go for a shopping spree before your journey if you wish.
Tips for visiting Nepal in spring:
- Temperatures could still vary in spring, so be sure to pack down jackets for layering up when needed.
- Explore the rich vegetation and blooming flowers along with Nepal’s famous Rhododendrons.
- Try visiting during Holi (the festival of colors), one of Nepal’s biggest Festivals.
- If you want to face lesser crowds, choose sometime in early or late spring.
Summer in Nepal
Summer is always good for travelling. The weather is hot and humid and it tends to rain on most days. The lush foothills and blooming wildflowers makes it enjoyable for travelers. There is a possibility of flight delay or cancellation due to cloudy weathers, so we recommend you to add-in an extra day or two for flexibility. Visit places such as Upper Mustang, Nar Phu, Upper Dolpo, Limi Valley and some other higher areas. The infamous Everest region treks are highly recommended.
Tips for visiting Nepal in summer:
- Various interesting festivals occur during summer including Dancing with Shamas (August Full Moon), Dhan Ropain (Rice planting festival), and more. So make sure you attend at least one of them.
- Be sure to add-in an extra couple of days to your vacation as there is a possibility of flight delays or even cancellation.
- Carry an umbrella or a rain coat. Unexpected and inconsistent rains could be seen during the summer, so bringing an umbrella on your trip will make things easier.
Autumn in Nepal
Autumn is the most recommended and popular season for trekking in Nepal. Along with freshly blooming vegetation after having a wash, it is also an amazing time to visit Nepal for cultural reasons. There are lots of on-going festivals and there is a high chance that you will be able to experience one. Since the season is suitable for almost any trip, we suggest you check out our CoreTreks special treks.
Tips for visiting Nepal in autumn:
- Take a professional guide with you licensed by Nepal Government
- Festivals like Dashain (October), Tihar (November), and the Mani Rimdu festival above Namche in Everest region (November) falls in autumn. So try and time your visit to coincide in order to experience them.
- The popular destiantions are usually packed during these times so maybe plan some off the beathen path treks.
- Early autumn might still see some light rain, don’t forget carry an umbrella.
To wrap things up, Nepal is a beautiful destination for travelers throughout the year. Traveling with CoreTreks is yet another way to assure an enjoyable and unforgettable journey. Our travel experts will guide you throughout your trip in Nepal and provide you with all the required safety measures. Get in touch with us and find out the best time to travel to Nepal or best seasons to travel to Nepal that fits you and your preferences. Happy travelling.