Upper Mustang is a beautiful and remote region of Nepal that offers stunning scenery and a unique culture. The area is only accessible with a special permit, which can be quite costly. However, there are a few ways to trek in Upper Mustang on a budget.
In this blog post, we will give you 10 tips on how to save money while trekking in Upper Mustang. By following these tips, you will be able to experience all that Upper Mustang has to offer without breaking the bank.
Highlights of Budget Mustang Trek:
- Trekking in Upper Mustang region of Nepal
- Budget-friendly option
- Explore ancient villages, caves, and monasteries
- Cost savings on permits and guides
- Scenic mountain views and unique culture
- Suitable for experienced hikers and trekkers
So, if you are interested in trekking in Upper Mustang but are worried about the cost, then read on for some helpful tips. But before that, let’s learn more about the Upper Mustang region in Nepal…
Why is Upper Mustang Trek in Nepal important?
There are a number of reasons why the Upper Mustang Trek is important. Mustang is a culturally rich region of Nepal that has remained relatively isolated from the outside world for centuries. As a result, it is home to a number of unique cultural practices and arts that are not found elsewhere in Nepal.
In addition, Mustang is home to some of the most stunning scenery in Nepal. The high-altitude desert landscape is unlike anything else in the country, and the views from the treks in the region are truly incredible.
Mustang is one of the poorest regions in Nepal, and the tourism dollars that are generated from trekking and climbing expeditions go a long way in helping to improve the lives of the people who live there.
What is the best time to go for an upper mustang trek?
If you want to avoid the crowds, the best time to go for upper mustang trek is from October to November. This is also the best time to see the fall colours.
In terms of seasons, Upper Mustang trek is best done in the springtime, when the weather is warm and the flowers are in bloom. The views are also spectacular at this time of year, with the snow-capped mountains in the background.
Tips on saving money trekking in Nepal
- Start by researching the best time to visit Nepal for your ideal weather conditions. Spring and autumn offer the best weather for trekking, but also the busiest time of year.
- Once you’ve decided when to go, book your flights and accommodation as early as possible to get the best deals.
- Invest in some quality trekking gear before you go. This will save you money in the long run as you won’t have to rent gear or buy it when you’re in Nepal.
- Pack light! The less you have to carry, the better. This will save you money on porter fees and make your trekking experience much more enjoyable.
- Trekking in Nepal can be expensive, so be sure to budget accordingly. Stick to simple meals and accommodation to save money.
- If you can, avoid taking any taxis or hired vehicles during your trek. Walking is the best way to see Nepal and it’s completely free!
- Join a group tour: You can save a significant amount of money by joining a group tour instead of traveling solo. In addition to the tour company’s economies of scale, you will also share expenses like accommodation and transportation with your fellow travelers.
- Bring your own gear: Renting gear can be expensive, so if you have your own equipment, make sure to bring it along. This includes items like tents, sleeping bags, hiking boots, and cooking utensils.
- Pack your own food: Eating out can be expensive, especially in remote areas. To save money, pack your own food and cook your own meals. This is also a great way to get to know your fellow travelers and bond over shared experience.
- Shop around for transportation: Once you’re in Nepal, shop around for the best transportation deals. This includes haggling with taxi and rickshaw drivers, as well as negotiating the best price for flights and bus tickets.
- Stay in budget accommodation: There are many affordable accommodation options available that you can pick from.
To wrap things up
In conclusion, upper mustang trekking on a budget can be a great option for those who are looking to explore this beautiful region without spending a lot of money. There are many ways to save money while trekking in upper mustang, such as by camping instead of staying in hotels, cooking your own meals, and avoiding unnecessary purchases. With a little planning and creativity, you can have an amazing and affordable trekking experience in upper mustang.