Gosaikunda Trek Overview
- Trip Code: CT-10021
- Package: Gosaikunda Trek
- Duration: 9 Day(s)
- Max Alt.: 4,300 M / 14,104 Ft.
- Trip Level:
BeginnerRequires no prior experience and fits for people with basic physical ability
- Start At: Kathmandu
- Ends At: Kathmandu
- Transportation: Public Bus | Private Vehicle
- Accommodation: Guest House | Hotel
- Best Season: March- April- May- Aug- Sep- Oct- Nov.
- Trip Route: Dhunche - Lauribinayak- Gosaikunda - Dhunche
Highlights of the Gosaikunda Trek with CoreTreks:
- Cultural exploration in the Langtang region: Discover the unique traditions and way of life of the local communities.
- Trekking through Langtang National Park: Explore the diverse ecosystem teeming with flora and fauna, including the elusive red panda.
- Visit the 108 Lakes of the Gosaikunda region: Witness the serene beauty of these sacred lakes, revered by Hindus and Buddhists.
- Witness stunning Himalayan panoramas: Capture breathtaking views of the Langtang range, Ganesh Himal, and Manaslu.
- Challenge yourself by crossing the Lauribinayak Pass: Experience the thrill of conquering this high-altitude pass at 4,165 meters.
- Trekkers seeking a moderate challenge with stunning scenery and cultural immersion.
- Travelers with limited time who want to experience the beauty of the Himalayas.
- Individuals interested in exploring Nepal's religious and spiritual significance.
Gosaikunda, one of 108 lakes in Nepal's Langtang region, lies at an altitude of 4,380 meters. While most lakes in the area are small or medium-sized, Gosaikunda is one of the larger ones. The Gosaikunda Trek, famous for its stunning natural landscapes and religious significance, is a popular choice for short treks in Nepal.
The trail traverses Langtang National Park, a haven for diverse wildlife including the elusive red panda. Travelers will experience a diverse landscape, transitioning from subtropical forests to alpine zones with verdant rhododendron, pine, oak, and birch forests. The trek offers breathtaking views of the Langtang range, Ganesh Himal, Manaslu, and even a glimpse of the Annapurna Circuit on a clear day. They can also conquer the Lauribinayak Pass, a high-altitude challenge at 4,165 meters.
If you're traveling to Nepal for a short period and want to explore the Himalayas, the Gosaikunda Trek is an excellent option. It's one of the most affordable trekking packages in Nepal and can be completed within 8 days, offering a chance to experience the Himalayan beauty and rich culture up close.
Why Choose CoreTreks for your Gosaikunda Trek:
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Ensure a safe and enriching experience with our team of local experts who are passionate about sharing the beauty of the Himalayas.
- Comfortable and well-maintained accommodation: Relax and rejuvenate in comfortable teahouses along the trek route, carefully selected by CoreTreks.
- Delicious and nutritious meals: Savor freshly prepared meals throughout your trek, catering to dietary preferences.
- Comprehensive support: Benefit from CoreTreks' meticulous planning and attention to detail, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable journey.
Ready to embark on your Gosaikunda adventure? Contact CoreTreks today to learn more and book your unforgettable trek!
|Arrival at Kathmandu
|1,350m/ 4,428 ft. (Kathmandu)
|Kathmandu to Dhunche
|1,960m / 6,428ft (Dhunche)
|Dhunche to Chandanbari
|3,330m / 10,922 ft (Chandanbari)
|Chandanbari to Lauribinayak
|3,910m / 12,824ft (Lauribinayak)
|Lauribinayak to Gosainkunda
|4,300 m / 14,104 ft. (Gosainkunda)
|Gosainkunda to Chandanbari
|3,330m / 10,922 ft (Chandanbari)
|Chandanbari to Dhunche
|1,960m / 6,428ft (Dhunche)
|Dhunche to Kathmandu
|1,350m/ 4,428 ft. (Kathmandu)
Gosaikunda Trek Itinerary
Arrival at Kathmandu
Upon arrival in Kathmandu, a CoreTreks representative will greet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel. After some time to relax and settle in, we'll hold a brief trek briefing session. During this session, you can ask any questions you may have, and you'll also be introduced to your tour guide.
Please note that if your arrival is late, the briefing will be rescheduled for the next morning before your trek departure.
Kathmandu to Dhunche
The following day, after breakfast, we'll pick you up from your hotel and begin our journey with a scenic drive towards Dhunche village. This approximately 6-7 hour drive will be our only activity for the day, allowing you to rest and prepare for the trek commencing the next day.
Dhunche to Chandanbari
Our journey continues with a gradual climb through the lush jungles of Langtang National Park. Keep an eye out for the vibrant rhododendron trees, Nepal's national flower, adorning the forest landscape.
After a refreshing 6-hour trek, we'll arrive at Chandanbari, a charming village nestled within the park. Here, you can explore several monasteries and visit one of Nepal's oldest Yak cheese factories.
Chandanbari to Lauribinayak
Following breakfast, we'll set out for Cholang Pati village. The initial part of the trail is relatively easy, transitioning into a gradual uphill climb towards Lauribinayak. This shorter, 4-5 hour trek allows for a slower pace, aiding your body's acclimatization to the increasing altitude.
Lauribinayak will be our peaceful haven for the night, offering stunning mountain views and a well-deserved rest.
Lauribinayak to Gosainkunda
Conquering the Lauribinayak Pass marks a significant milestone on our trek. The verdant landscape gradually transitions into a stark yet captivating valley, offering breathtaking vistas. After a challenging yet rewarding 3-hour ascent, we arrive at Gosaikunda. The crystal-clear, frigid lake mesmerizes with its profound beauty, leaving an indelible mark on your soul.
We'll spend the night resting at a lodge, basking in the serene ambiance of the surrounding lakes.
Gosainkunda to Chandanbari
Our journey back descends gradually towards Dhunche, retracing our steps along the familiar trail. The lower elevation makes the descent comparatively easier, allowing you to fully appreciate the majestic Himalayan panoramas. We'll stop for the night at Chandanbari village, enjoying the well-deserved comfort after a fulfilling day.
Chandanbari to Dhunche
Our final leg of the trek unfolds through pleasant pine forests as we make our way towards Dimsa and eventually Dhunche. This enjoyable 5-hour walk allows you to soak in the beauty of the surrounding nature.
Upon reaching Dhunche, we'll conclude our trek and enjoy a well-deserved rest.
Dhunche to Kathmandu
Bidding farewell to the majestic Langtang region, we'll embark on a scenic 7-hour drive back to Kathmandu, the vibrant capital city of Nepal. After settling into your hotel, we'll host a farewell dinner party at a traditional Nepalese restaurant, providing a delightful opportunity to savor local cuisine and reminisce about our shared adventure.
As our journey concludes, we'll ensure a smooth departure. We'll pick you up from your hotel 2 hours prior to your flight time and accompany you to the Tribhuvan International Airport, ensuring a stress-free transition.
Gosaikunda Trek Cost Mentions
- Roundtrip airport transfers by private vehicle
- 2 nights in a standard twin-sharing room at a 3-star hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast included
- 6 nights in twin-sharing accommodation during the trek
- Meals: Three daily meals with tea/coffee (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) throughout the trek
- Permits and Fees: TIMS Fee and Langtang National Park permit
- Guided Expertise: One experienced, helpful, and friendly guide
- Support Staff: Porters (1 porter for 2 people) with food, accommodation, salary, and equipment
- Farewell dinner: Enjoy a traditional Nepali meal with cultural performances
- Personal care and attention
- Local and government taxes
- Personal expenses: Beverages (including bottled water), phone calls, laundry, hot showers during the trek, and tipping
- Travel and rescue insurance: It is highly recommended to purchase comprehensive travel insurance covering medical emergencies, trip cancellation, and helicopter evacuation.
- Personal mountaineering gear: You are responsible for providing your own clothing, footwear, and trekking equipment.
- Optional trips and sightseeing: Any additional activities or excursions beyond the designated trek itinerary are not included.
- International airfare and airport departure tax: You are responsible for arranging your own flights and paying any associated fees.
- Visa fee: You can easily obtain a visa upon arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu.
For detailed information on Goshainkunda trek options and additional services, please contact us.
The Gosaikunda Trek offers stunning scenery and cultural experiences year-round, but the ideal seasons are spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November). Here's a detailed breakdown of each season's pros and cons:
- Pros: Pleasant weather with cool days and warm nights (18-30°C max, 6-18°C min).
- Cons: Occasional rain showers, potential for higher altitude snow.
- Highlights: Lush green landscapes, blooming rhododendrons, possibility of spotting wildlife like red pandas.
- Pros: Lush greenery, fewer crowds (potentially).
- Cons: Monsoon season with frequent rain (400-500mm/month), slippery trails, potential for landslides.
- Highlights: Waterfalls in full flow, vibrant vegetation, occasional clear days with stunning views.
- Pros: Most popular season: Clear skies, stable weather with comfortable temperatures (20-28°C max, 6-10°C min).
- Cons: Fewer wildflowers compared to spring.
- Highlights: Dry trails, breathtaking mountain views, fewer mosquitoes and leeches.
- Pros: Unique winter landscapes, fewer crowds, potential for snowfall.
- Cons: Colder temperatures (18-22°C max, 2-6°C min), some snowfall and potential for slippery trails.
- Highlights: Frozen lakes and waterfalls, stunning snow-capped peaks, tranquil atmosphere.
Choosing the Right Season:
- For pleasant weather, blooming flowers, and wildlife spotting: Spring (March-April)
- For comfortable temperatures, clear skies, and dry trails: Autumn (September-November)
- For adventure and unique winter landscapes: Winter (December-February, with proper preparation)
- Early June: If you prefer summer but dislike rain, consider early June for potentially drier conditions.
- Mid-December: Winter officially arrives after mid-December, so plan accordingly with proper gear.
Ultimately, the best season for the Gosaikunda Trek depends on your individual preferences and priorities. Consider the factors mentioned above to make an informed decision that aligns with your expectations for a memorable trekking experience.
Nepal's vibrant festivals offer a unique window into the country's rich cultural tapestry. Among these, the Janai Purnima celebration at Gosaikunda Lake holds immense significance for both Hindus and Buddhists.
The Essence of Janai Purnima:
- Held on the full moon day of August: This auspicious occasion attracts devotees from all over Nepal and beyond.
- Spiritual Significance: Hindus observe this day by chanting mantras, changing their sacred threads (Janai), and receiving blessings from priests.
- Symbolic Observances: Rakshya Bandhan, a sacred red-yellow thread, is tied around wrists for protection. The lake itself, believed to be connected to the Kumbheshwar Temple in Kathmandu, holds an image of Lord Shiva at its center.
Experiencing the Festival:
- Customized Gosaikunda Festival Trek: We offer specially designed treks that coincide with the Janai Purnima festivities, allowing you to witness these traditions firsthand.
- Immerse in the Cultural Tapestry: Witness the fervor of devotees, participate in the rituals (if permitted), and gain a deeper understanding of Nepali culture and spirituality.
Beyond the Festival:
- Breathtaking Landscapes: The Gosaikunda region itself boasts stunning natural beauty, with serene lakes, majestic mountains, and diverse flora and fauna.
- Unforgettable Adventure: Combine the cultural experience with the thrill of trekking, creating a truly unforgettable Himalayan adventure.
Join us on this unique journey to Gosaikunda and experience the magic of Janai Purnima, where cultural immersion meets breathtaking landscapes.
The Gosaikunda trek experiences varied weather conditions depending on the season. Here's a general overview:
- Spring (March-May): Pleasant with cool days (18-30°C) and cold nights (6-18°C). Occasional rain showers are possible, and higher altitudes might experience snow.
- Summer (June-August): Monsoon season brings frequent rain (400-500mm/month) and potential landslides. Temperatures remain moderate (22-30°C max, 17-21°C min).
- Autumn (September-November): Considered the ideal season with clear skies, stable weather, and comfortable temperatures (20-28°C max, 6-10°C min).
- Winter (December-February): Colder with occasional snowfall (18-22°C max, 2-6°C min). Trails might be slippery.
Important Note: Weather conditions can change rapidly, especially in the mountains. It's crucial to check the latest forecast closer to your trek date and be prepared for unexpected changes.
- Layers of clothing: Adapt to varying temperatures with thermals, fleece, and a waterproof jacket.
- Sturdy hiking boots: Ensure proper grip and ankle support for uneven terrain.
- Walking stick: Provides balance and stability, especially on descents.
- Gloves: Protect your hands from the cold and wind.
- Reusable water bottle: Stay hydrated throughout the trek.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen: Protect yourself from the sun's rays.
- Rain gear: Pack a raincoat and waterproof trousers for potential rain showers.
- First-aid kit: Be prepared for minor injuries or ailments.
- Personal medication: Carry any prescribed medications you might need.
- Snacks and energy bars: Maintain your energy levels during the trek.
Remember: Packing appropriately for the expected weather conditions is essential for a safe and enjoyable Gosaikunda trek. By planning ahead and being prepared for potential variations, you can ensure a comfortable and memorable adventure.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The Gosaikunda Trek is a beginner-friendly adventure, perfect for those seeking an introduction to Himalayan trekking. While prior mountaineering experience is not required, our expert guides will provide a comprehensive pre-trek briefing to ensure your safety and enjoyment.
Trekking in Nepal can be a safe and rewarding experience when approached with proper preparation and caution. Here at CoreTreks, we prioritize the safety of our guests and take several measures to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey.
Here's what you can expect:
- Experienced and qualified guides: Our treks are led by highly trained and certified guides who possess extensive knowledge of the region and prioritize your safety.
- Comprehensive pre-trek briefing: Before embarking on your adventure, you'll receive a detailed briefing covering essential information about the trek itinerary, safety procedures, and potential risks. This briefing also provides an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
- Emergency preparedness: We have established protocols for handling emergencies and ensure adequate support is available throughout the trek.
Remember, personal responsibility also plays a crucial role in ensuring a safe trek. By following your guide's instructions, being aware of your surroundings, and maintaining good physical condition, you can contribute significantly to a safe and enjoyable experience.
The Gosaikunda Trek in Nepal immerses you in the rich cultural tapestry of the Langtang region. Traverse the diverse landscapes of Langtang National Park, and discover the serene Gosaikunda lakes, a cluster of 108 sacred water bodies nestled amidst the Himalayas. Witness the majestic peaks of the Langtang range, Ganesh Himal, and even catch a glimpse of Mt. Manaslu on a clear day.
During the Gosaikunda Trek, you'll be warmly welcomed by the local teahouses and lodges, offering comfortable accommodations and delicious meals. Savor traditional Nepali cuisine, typically consisting of Dal (lentil soup), Bhat (boiled rice), Tarkari (vegetables), and Achar (pickle). Camping is rarely necessary on this trek due to the readily available and well-maintained accommodation options
To book the Trek in Nepal, CoreTreks offers you a number of booking options including:
- Online booking,
- Wire transfer OR,
- Cash on arrival
We recommend you go through our booking policy before you head to the payment. In case of further inquiries please feel free to contact us.
Equipment And Gears
To prepare for your trek in Nepal, it's essential to consider both the specific route and the time of year. Here is a Nepal trekking packing list to help you pack wisely. Here’s our Nepal Trekking packing list.
Gosaikunda Trek Reviews
beautiful and memorable trek to gosainkunda
From: United Kingdom | On: 18 Jan, 2023
I recently had the pleasure of embarking on the Gosaikunda Trekking adventure in Nepal with CoreTreks, and it was an absolutely incredible experience from start to finish.
From the moment I contacted CoreTreks, their team was prompt, professional, and extremely helpful in answering all my queries and providing me with detailed information about the trek. Their attention to detail and personalized service made me feel confident and excited about the journey ahead.
During the trek, the CoreTreks team proved to be knowledgeable, experienced, and passionate about the Himalayas. Our guide was not only an expert in navigating the trails but also had extensive knowledge about the local culture, history, and wildlife. He was patient, encouraging, and always ensured our safety and well-being throughout the trek.
The Gosaikunda Trek itself was nothing short of breathtaking. The stunning mountain views, pristine lakes, and lush landscapes left me in awe at every turn. The route was well-planned, offering a perfect balance of challenging ascents, serene valleys, and rewarding viewpoints. CoreTreks made sure we had ample time to acclimatize and enjoy the surroundings, making the trek both enjoyable and manageable for all fitness levels.
I cannot thank CoreTreks enough for their exceptional service and expertise during my Gosaikunda Trekking experience. They truly went above and beyond to make this journey unforgettable. I highly recommend CoreTreks to anyone seeking a remarkable trekking adventure in Nepal.
Thank you Nepal
From: Poland | On: 25 Sep, 2019
We had a short trek but it was an amazing experience. The Langtang region is really rich in culture. The people carry on a certain belief in them which acts as a fuel for their hard work. I feel really blessed to be able to experience such a nice place among such nice peoples.
I want to thank CoreTreks for making this trip possible. Also for guiding us along the trials leading to Gosainkunda. Nepal is truly a blessing. I look forward to visit again.
Short trek to Gosainkunda
From: United States | On: 03 Nov, 2019
The trek was short, we spent about 9 days trekking and hiking. But it was an amazing experience. We learned so many things about Nepal, cultural and geographical. It is so inspiring to see the religious beliefs of people living in those areas.
Overall the experience was worth the effort and wait. We plan on returning for a visit again later this year. We fell in love with the welcoming people all over the country. The lakes were so refreshing as well.
Thanks to CoreTreks for helping us throughout our trip to Gosainkunda. The professional guides helped us along the trials of Nepal and led us to the Gosainkunda lakes. I definitely recommend CoreTreks if you are looking forward to a journey in Nepal.
A fun and memorable trip to Gosainkunda
From: Norway | On: 04 Nov, 2018
I really enjoyed my time in Nepal. Experiencing different cultures in Nepal is really amazing. I never thought places like existed until I visited Nepal. I have to say that I have respect for all the hardworking people around the mountains.
The holy lakes of Gosainkunda were pristine and refreshing to watch. There is so much more in Nepal than just mountains. I encourage anyone who are thinking of travelling to Nepal to take the leap.
The team from CoreTreks were our guiding partners and they did a really good job of explaining us about all the cultural values of people living in that region. I recommend that you book your trip with CoreTreks as they are amazing and dedicated towards their priority.
Beautiful lakes of Nepal
From: India | On: 14 Apr, 2018
It was a fun trip to Nepal. We got a chance to experience the beautiful lakes and the mountains of Nepal. My friends and I were thinking of visiting other country for our vacation. We are glad we chose Nepal.
We went through the Langtang national park where we encountered some rare animals of Nepal. I wish we had time for jungle safari that looked fun. In our next visit we will for sure go for the jungle safari.
Thanks to CoreTreks for making this trip possible. We booked last minute but the team took care of everything and suggested us with a package that perfectly fit our group. I would recommend CoreTreks to anyone who is looking to travel to Nepal.